Monday, August 1, 2011

Hero

Heroes come in many forms.  Cartoons, men, women, military.  MONDAY this became my family's hero





Brandi



This is Brandi, my 9 year old daughter's Mountain Cur.  She gave her life Monday afternoon to save ours.  At approximately 7:15 pm a man entered our back yard.  I believe he was attempting to enter our home from our back entrance because the fence blocks the views from all streets.  Brandi defended our home to her best ability and unfortunately this criminal took her life.  About 7:25, I drove home, with my son.  I believe I probably scared him away when I drove up.  I noticed nothing wrong at the time and I took Wyatt in the house and put him in his highchair while I went back to the car to get his food.  When I got in my carport, I noticed something was strange about the dogs.  My other Mountain Cur was trying to help Brandi or get my attention to let me know something was wrong.  When I saw her laying there I knew something horrible was happening.  She did pass soon after.  As time has passed, I know in my heart that man would have been in my home when Wyatt and I got home if Brandi had not defended our home.  Had she not given her life, I feel certain that Wyatt and I would have been hurt.  My heart hurts that she is gone but so grateful that she protected us.  As a family we are hurting right now and Bella is devastated that her dog is gone.  She will be missed and truly thought of as a hero forever.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny,

    First I want to say that this post left me in tears, as a dog owner myself, my deepest sympathy goes out to your family.

    I stumbled upon your blog, and reading few of the entries has given me a very meaningful inside perspective about having a child affected by spina bifida. I am inspired by your courage and touched by the pictures of your family that I had to reach out. My name is Courtney Beyer, and I am the new Study Coordinator at VitaPath Genetics. Earlier this year, we successfully completed the first phase of our landmark study looking at the genetic factors contributing to spina bifida. In conjunction with our academic collaborators at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI), Stanford, UC Berkeley and UCSF, we recruited over 1,000 women and their child affected by spina bifida to participate.

    Our first phase produced promising results but, we believe that it is appropriate for us to replicate this study in a second, independent group of mothers. We are beginning our second study in early January and are reaching out to more mothers to participate. In order to reach as many women as possible, I would very much appreciate if you could include news about the study in your blog. I also have banners and buttons if you would like to post something on your site. In addition it would be great to connect with you via facebook (search SB Genetics) and twitter @sbgenetics.

    I would like to get in contact with you to share more information and answer any questions that you may have. Please email me at CBeyer@vpgenetics.com and visit www.sbgenetics.org. This website gives an in depth explanation of the study as well as a link if you are interested in enrolling. Thank you for taking the time to read my note and I am greatly looking forward to being in contact.

    Warmest regards and happy new year,

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete